355 Days

Wife, mechanic, gardener, animal lover, artists, cook and student of life. I like to talk about all of it.

Saturday 26 January 2013

Simple Egg Salad

I love egg salad. I like it simple, without dill or onion, and I love crunchy vegetables in it.  Here is my super easy egg salad recipe. 

You will need:

1 dozen eggs
2 carrots
3 celery stalks
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup yellow mustard
half lemon
salt & pepper to taste

First you need to hard boil your eggs.  The best method I know is to fill a pot with eggs and cold water.  Put them over med/high heat on the stove.  Once they come to a boil start the timer and cook for 20 minutes.  (I recently discovered that a tablespoon of baking soda/bicarb makes the shells easier to peel.)  After cooking your eggs immediately bathe them in cold water.  This stops them from cooking and allows them to cool for peeling.  You can add ice to the water to speed up the process.  If you try to make egg salad with hot eggs it won't be very nice. 


I put the peeled eggs in a bowl of cold water on the left and on the right I collect the shells.  (I put them in the garden to keep snails off my plants.)  See how nice the shells peels off?  That's the baking soda added to the water. 
One dozen hard boiled eggs, cooled and peeled.

My lemon, carrots and celery washed and trimmed. 

You'll need an egg slicer. 

 You have to slice the egg both ways so you have diced egg.


All my eggs diced up and ready to go.

Chop your carrots. 

Add your carrots to the egg mix.

Chop your celery and throw it in the mix!

Add 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.  I use Best Foods Real Mayonnaise.


Add 1/4 cup of yellow mustard. I use French's Classic Yellow.  


Roll your lemon before you slice it to maximize the juice you'll extract from it.

Half a lemon and my totally cute mason jar salt and pepper shakers.
Salt and pepper to taste, lemon juice and mix mix mix!

Egg salad on toast!  So good and crunchy I hope you enjoy it!

Got half a lemon left over?  Juice it, add sugar and use it as a face scrub.  It works really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment