355 Days

Wife, mechanic, gardener, animal lover, artists, cook and student of life. I like to talk about all of it.

Thursday 31 January 2013

Black Bean Soup

You've probably noticed that my recipes are simple.  I am not opposed to complicated recipes but for the most part I keep to the KISS (Keep It Simple Squeaky!) method of cooking.  My black bean soup recipe is no different, minimal ingredients and amazing flavour.

I use dried beans for two reasons.  1. I buy them cheap in bulk and they are easy to store. 2. I live in Australia and it's difficult to find canned black beans.  There are a lot of opinions about which are better for you but that is for another post.  Today is all about making soup.

You'll need:

4 cups of soaked or 2 15 oz (450ml) cans of black beans
1 1/2 cup vegetable
1 cup chunky salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
1 small can of corn kernels which I forgot to add.




Get your dried beans soaking.  I used 1 3/4 cups dried beans.
When they swell it will be to more than twice their original size.
I am going to need 4 cups of soaked beans.


Put them in a pot and cover with water.
Water level should be 2 inches over the level of beans.
The next day I rinsed (3 times) my beans and now they
are ready for my soup.
Add 3 3/4 cups of beans to the food processor (save 1/4 cup as whole beans)
Pour in broth.


Add one cup of chunky salsa.  Can be as hot or mild as you like. 


Mix it up! I did about one minute on medium to high speed.

This is the mixed up soup.  Not too pretty but it will taste good.

Remember that 1/4 of whole beans we set aside?  Add them to your mix.
Add your cumin and
you can add a small can of corn kernels too I forgot mine. 

Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer
for an additional 20 minutes.
It's really thick.  For a thinner consistency use canned beans. 

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy.

This soup freezes beautifully so make extra and put it aside for a rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment