355 Days

Wife, mechanic, gardener, animal lover, artists, cook and student of life. I like to talk about all of it.

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Zombie Apocalypse

I could have been a boyscout.  I am always prepared.  On our recent trip around Australia we were headed through outback NSW and nearly ran out of fuel. (Just quietly, this is totally my husbands fault.)  In my whole life I have never run out of petrol and this was as close as you could get without actually having to walk.   We rolled into Cobar on fumes and puckered butt holes. Running out of fuel is not something that happens to me because I AM THE WOMAN WITH A PLAN.  As we rode through the outback all I could think was, "I'm not prepared for this! No combination of the items that I have carefully packed will allow us to get out of this."  Plans are how I make sense of the chaos that is my life. They give me a feeling of control and I like how that feels.

My Australian friends laugh at me because I have an emergency bag packed and sitting by the front door.  It's called a BOB (Bug Out Bag) or GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) bag.  They are the single item that you grab if the sh*it hits the fan and you have to go NOW!  A concept that makes perfect sense to me but has many of my Aussies laughing at me and calling it my Zombie Apocalypse Bag.  I have put a lot of thought, time and research into my bag.  One of my favourite games is "name the items that you'd put in this bag" and then I see if I have them all. (It's true I'm a geek but indulge me)

There is a movement of people called "preppers".  Basically they are prepared for a crash in society or an emergency.  They decide to prepare for different reasons.  Some believe that the economy is going to crash and society with it, some believe a world war is coming, others have religious reasons.   I think, why wouldn't you prepare?  There are 10,000 things that can go wrong at any time.  This week we've had flash floods in our area. As friends wrote on facebook about being stranded in their cars I re-checked the compact BOB in my Jeep.

If you are ever in an emergency you better hope you're with me.  My brain works best during an emergency.  My thoughts are clear, crisp and rapid.  I think that part of this is because I've already gone through so many emergencys in my head, worked out a plan, a back up plan and a contingency to that.   Even in non-apocalyptic life I am prepared.  I don't run out of things.  Soap, toothpaste, toiletpaper, dog food or coffee I buy it before I run out.  Why wouldn't you?  You know you'll use it up eventually right?

I make survival bracelets.  They are 550 paracord that is weaved into an attractive bracelet with a robust buckle.  They quickly unravel to give you access to 6-9 feet of paracord.  I won't go into the 100's of possible uses but I wear mine all the time.  I have weaved keychains too, just in case.  I've made many and given them to friends.  They are kind and accept them as a novelty but I know that one day it could save their life OR it could replace a broken shoe lace which would be really inconvenient.


So this week as the weather freaks out, roads are washed away and towns like Lightening Ridge were preparing to be water locked for weeks just do me a favor and check the batteries in your flashlight/torch.   Next time you do the shopping buy a few extra cans of baked beans and put them in the back of the cupboard.  Please.  It makes me feel better.  

Leave me a comment below and let me know you something OR you could ask me if the item that you're thinking of is in my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment