355 Days

Wife, mechanic, gardener, animal lover, artists, cook and student of life. I like to talk about all of it.

Sunday 16 December 2012

Strawberry Vodka

A recent trip to Costco yielded a huge basket of strawberries so I decided to make a special treat for Christmas.  Strawberry vodka!






The basket wasn't really huge but the berries were.  Look at this monster!  The best part was that they were super sweet and juicy.



I washed the berries, trimmed the stems and cut some of them to fill a pint jar.  We aren't big drinkers in my house. There was a bottle of vodka in the freezer that must have been three years old.  I used what was left to cover the berries.




For two weeks they sat in my cupboard.  Every few days I'd give them a shake and watched as the vodka turn pink.   After two weeks the berries look like this.  Kinda gray and icky.  When I opened the jar it smelled just like jam.




I poured my berry mix through a strainer.  Look at the beautiful colour of the vodka. The berries were really plumped up.  They were full of my vodka so I had to get it out.





 I mashed the berries to extract as much liquid as possible.  Then poured it through a coffee filter into my jar.





The result!  I took this photo outside so you could see how bright the colours are.  It's really pretty, smells devine and tastes like candy.  I can't wait to mix it with a bit of sparkling soda and a squeeze of fresh lemon on Christmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment